West Coast Haunters Convention 2015

It’s 2015. Wow. Time flies. I really need to post more than once a year.

West Coast Haunters Convention has come and gone. It was fantastic, as always! This event is non-profit, with proceeds going to support teachers and other professionals that work with deaf, hard-of-hearing and autistic students throughout the Northwest. It’s all big-hearted volunteers and they do a top notch job! I really feel like we are all one big weird family there having a reunion.

Next year I plan on donating some custom made goodies to the silent auction that’s held on the Saturday of the event during the costume ball.


I’ll post my costume build in a separate post next.

Halloween 2014

Sometimes life hits us with a series of major and unexpected events. The kind that swoop in and completely change everything, and you get a good raw look at life as you reconstruct your surroundings. It’s been one of those years for me, and I am picking up the bits and pieces and creating a new life. I feel like I’m over the most of it, like things will calm and I can make a new ‘normal’ routine. According to the Holmes and Rahe stress scale, in the past year I have scored over 500. I am hoping not to add anything else to that list. 2014 has been… well, it’s been a game changer.

I didn’t think I would pull off much this year in the way of Halloween. Partly because I had little spare time for building a haunt, and partly because my entire studio is currently in boxes still, in my tiny little garage, in my tiny little home I just relocated to. Somehow though, I did build. It wasn’t at my own home, and I didn’t have to fund it – I just had to create it. So I did. I had a great partner in crime to aid me with the construction, the owner took care of most of the logistics. We had bigger and grander ideas but building on partial weekends mid September through Halloween, and some weeknights after work, didn’t allow for it. All in all, we were happy with the results. We didn’t have a consistent theme throughout the haunt, but rather jumped around from scene to scene. We had a forest (indoors) and a bio-hazard hallway. A medieval room with a religious vibe, and an insane asylum scene. A hallway of flesh, a crazed butcher room, and a meat locker. A spandex room with actors in each wall, and lastly, with no time left to make more scenes, we threw in an industrial scene with bits and pieces that were left over from previous years.

You can see the pictures on my flickr page.








I seem to have disappeared from this blog for a long while. Sorry about that. It’s just one of those stages in life where things pull at you from other angles and priorities have to be shuffled.

Busy or not, there was no way I was missing out on the West Coast Haunters Convention in Portland Oregon this year. I wasn’t able to attend the entire event but I made it down there Friday evening and stayed to Monday. For the costume ball on Saturday night I created a Medusa costume. I was in the hotel room Friday night painting it, but I got it finished.


Years and years back I made a Medusa costume. It wasn’t that great, and the headpiece was heavy and not nearly snaky enough. I really think if you’re going to pull off Medusa, its all about a big mass of writhing snakes on your head. Problem is, snake hair can be heavy if your going to achieve the amount required for it to be a ‘mass’ of them. So before I started this process I thought about how I could pull off something light enough that I could wear it for 8 hours. I ended up using tubular crinoline for the bodies and I used some insulation foam for the snakes heads. The cap portion was fabricated with foam and felt and light wire. It weighed less than 2 lbs! Perfectly lightweight. I then hid a small mp3 speaker among the snakes and added a loop of hissing noises.

deadspidersmedusa (1)

deadspidersmedusa (2)

deadspidersmedusa (5)

deadspidersmedusa (4)

deadspidersmedusa (6)

deadspidersmedusa (3)

deadspidersmedusa (7)

deadspidersmedusa (8)

deadspidersmedusa (9)

deadspidersmedusa (10)

I didn’t want to resemble the store bought Medusa Greek gown look. I went with dyed and aged cheesecloth and a under-bust corset, worn over a black catsuit that I quickly airbrushed scales onto. Took some lycra gloves and airbrushed them and added long black fingernails. I airbrushed them while they were on. That was interesting, and airbrushing with my left hand was interesting I added some extra bits with craft foam; the arm greaves and the hip armor, and a clasp for the cheesecloth material top. If I hadn’t procrastinated to the last minute, I’d have done things a bit differently, and added a few elements but overall the effect was there. At the convention a good friend of mine offered to do the makeup for me with his airbrush.






The costume contest on Saturday night was judged by Roy Wooley and RJ Haddy from SyFy’s Face Off. Roy was wearing an RJ costume. It was great to meet them both. I had to re-introduce myself to them the next day out of costume.